Saturday, July 20, 2013

Marching Season

Descending back towards Sheerness at lunchtime today, I noticed two tugs nudging a large container ship around the wreck of the SS Richard Montgomery. Whether this was a normal procedure or the ship was a little off course for the port, I don't know but I grabbed my camera none the less.

Readers may recall the story of the Richard Montgomery, a WWII munitions carrier that sank off Sheerness with enough explosives to cause the equivalent of a small nuclear explosion. Today the wreck site is clearly marked, the explosives are regarded as being hazardously unstable and the good people of Sheerness, go about their daily business, largely oblivious to the threat of oblivion only a few hundred metres from the shoreline.

If you had heard about some of the more extraordinary events and outbursts of the July 11th, Thanet Council meeting, then the video is now online and you can judge for yourself what actually took place that evening as opposed to hearsay. This covers the controversial topics of both the Pleasurama Royal Sands Development and the TransEuropa debt and several, rather 'hot under the collar' exchanges.

I haven't been writing much of late' partly because its been too hot and partly because I have been too busy or dodging the British Airways A380 coming and going at Manston every day.

Everywhere I'm seeing positive signs of business coming out of recession and spending money, Ryan Air spending advertising money with me today and Lawyers4U last week, which appears to support what the Government is saying in regard to the latest OECD figures.

While austerity is very much still with us, we are not suffering anywhere near to the same degree as countries like Greece, even though we had the biggest debts. These haven't been dented in real-terms just yet and we can be thankful that we have our own currency and not the Euro. That said, printing money; Quantitive Easing if you want to hide the fact, is not without risk and can't carry-on with low Bank of England interest rates indefinitely. Crawling out of recession, even in tiny steps, is just enough, like a struggling man with his nose just above the quicksand, to keep the European-style recession from our door. But of course, some readers might prefer to hand the keys back to Ed Balls to see if he's learned any new tricks since Labour was last in power?

Tomorrow, it's the annual Tolpuddle Martyrs Rally and Trades Union rally in Dorset. As you might expect, yours truly, Margate's closet Marxist, with two supporting aircraft is providing some of the opening entertainment at 2pm as the march begins. Irony at its finest hour.

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too saw the video of the 11th, Clive Hart certainly does himself no favours and even appears to make a veiled threat to one questioner.

Anonymous said...

I should add, Will Scobie on the other hand is excellent here.

Simon Moores said...

Thank you friend of Will or is that willing friend or even 'Just William?'

Anonymous said...

Or the future Mrs Scobie?

Anonymous said...

Following on from 9.13amn in the previous blog, JW has placed himself in a bizarre situation. Having published his poisoned letter in the Gazette, he now shows his true colours. As I understand it, the Standards committee is there to control the behaviour of our cllrs. In order for it to works requires all cllrs to accept its rulings, even when it may go against them. JW refuses to accept that Standards found Cllr Gregory not guilty, and yet when JW is found guilty twice by the same committee he refuses to apologise to the offended parties. I suppose at least he is consistent!

Anonymous said...

Will Scobie appeared to spend most of the meeting chatting to the councillor to his left, whom I assume is Cllr. Hibbert, like school children at the back of the class.

What council leader Hart said at the beginning re a cigarette end, and at the end of his reply, to Duncan Smithson's question, was tantamount to threatening/bullying. He, Hart, is mature enough to know that the phrase "I hope you get home safely" is in implied threat. Having said that, Smithson came across as a bit naive and a bit like a fish out of water. He didn't however deserve the reply he received from council leader Hart.
Worrow is no longer chief in a gang of two, and I see he has announced he will not attend any more meetings of the Overview and Scrutiny Panel until apologies are made to the LGBT community and to those with AIDS. He styles himself TDC lead member for equality and inclusion. Is anybody else fed up with the words equality, diversity and inclusion being used in the same sentence? As a member of the heterosexual community I know I am.

John Holyer said...

Duncam Smithson could be working for SFP. He made an absolute twit of himself at the TDC meeting and damaged FORS in my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Oh lord...watched most of the video until I practically lost the will to live! Is Duncan Smithson modelling himself on Russell Brand? Not the smartest way to deliver a question, but then the mode of response pretty much matched it. How about setting some of the committee members the task of attending a few seminars on presentation? Reading out a rambling written response, head down and even then stumbling over it did not look impressive! Not that I managed to make any sense out of most of the replies anyway!

Anonymous said...

John that is an awful thing to say and tantamount to conspiracy theory.

I am surprised Simon published. Naming someone and making an accusation.

What has happened to blogging standards in Thanet.

Simon Moores said...

I don't think it actually breaches my acceptable use rules but if anyone regards this as defamatory or offensive please let me know!

Anonymous said...

Well said Simon. It would be for the person named to regard it as defamatory. But it is unlikely to be libellous unless the "Reasonable man" would believe it.

Barry James said...

As a member of FORS I will make the following observation, Duncan is not a member of the Facebook page of over 1000 people so I doubt he did us any harm

Barry James said...

any chance you can add my blog to your list
http://pleasurama.blogspot.co.uk/

Barry

John Holyer said...

About Duncan Smithson: when I said that he could be working for SFP I was being ironic. I doubt if even SFP would tolerate his risable and contrived 'with it right on persona'. I am pleased to learn from Barry that Smithson is not part of FORS.

John Hamilton - talking sense and cutting through bullshit said...

It is hard to conceive of anyone making FORS look more ridiculoys or irrelevant, James, Cooper and Dove would still seem to be active, but having Driver's support clearly takes the last vestiages of credibility it might have once been able to claim.

Nice to see that Cllr Poole clearly has the measure of Smithson though.

Duncan Smithson said...

Thank you for the feedback. I will add 'Russell Brand-esque' and 'with it right on persona' to the growing list of feedback :) And its good to note that there are people out there that feel that Cllr Poole has the right ideas. There are also a number of people that dont feel that way. And I am sorry if I upset anyone with the question. I just wanted to see what Clive had to say for hiself.

Solo Gays said...

what was this question? It is no good me looking at videos because I have no sound on my PC....

Bemused of Birchington said...

HIMSELF

Solo Gays said...

So, How did we get to this situation? Whereby Duncan gets himself into a position to put a question to our council leader at a council meeting, on behalf of himself?

Anonymous said...

Probably because he's friends with a certain Tory Westgate cllr SG!

Bemused of Birchington said...

Very droll Solo, or is it? Duncan cannot spell HIMSELF, hence the shouting. His question really needs to be listened to to do it any justice.

Simon Moores said...

Would that be Jodie or Tom then?

But seriously there's nothing stopping anyone asking a meeting at Council, even you 8:32. Just put the question to democratic services. No councillor need be involved.

Duncan Smithson said...

And this is why I dont get sucked into blogs.....

OK. Two quick points. Firstly to "Bemused" - yep - probably make typos all over the place. I am dyslexic. Sorry if I make mistakes. Things look right to me - sorry where they are wrong.

Secondly - with the exception of a Broadie councillor who helped me with a project about a year ago, I can honestly say I have only chatted to local councillors on a hand full of occassions.

I guess this is why i prefer Facebooks to blogs - unless you create a false profile, you cant hide behind annoymous. Hope this post clarifies a couple of points :)

Bemused of Birchington said...

Facebook is old hat, blogs are timeless and constantly evolving, plus one tends to find a better class of response in a blog, especially this one. It's like comparing chalk and cheese. Plus anonymity is important to some because otherwise if you knew our true identity we would have to shoot you.

Solo Gays said...

I have found it invaluable to be able to test beliefs and ideas in an open public forum, both my own and those of others. Friends will not always tell you what you need to hear.

John Hamilton - talking sense and cutting through bullshit said...

Happily in blogs, the likes of Smithson find it harder to hide behind blanket bans on people who throw light in to the dark corners of BS that they try ro peddle to the more naive and gullible reader.

Duncan Smithson said...

"Facebook is old hat". lol. I am actually going to quote that one and ping it around Thanet - just to see what people of Thanet think! And you are still not banned from my site John, but I have noticed you have banned me from yours. Have a lovely day all :D

Bemused of Birchington said...

Methinks this Smithson character is lowering the tone of this Blog by bringing Facebook style chat to what is probably the most honest Blog in Thanet. At least if the rules are followed then comments will appear, unlike some I could mention if you get what I am labouring to say and what I am driving at. And yes, Facebook is dated.

Anonymous said...

Not as dated as the North Thanet Tories!!!

Bemused of Birchington said...

Am still awaiting the result of pinging around Thanet DS, what news?