Monday, January 14, 2013

Soap Box Time

View over Margate in Snow 2013
Some minor snow disruption this morning but the bulk of any snowfall, if it reaches us here in Thanet, is supposed to arrive this afternoon; not as bad as some of the predictions for the northern part of the country though.

I took my camera with me on the way to the council offices and grabbed some scenic photos, which managed to make the town appear quite colourful in the sharp contrasts thrown by the light and snow.

Other than Easyjet's apology to the town of Margate, following the weekend's furore, I have news from Thanet Council, that my Standards hearing is now set for 10:00 am on 30th January, as a public hearing. I'm told that Cllr Dr. Jack Cohen has refused to accept my public apology for my satirical description of him here as 'Sober Jack' and so the matter will now proceed to its final inquisitorial stage at great public expense.

Presently, the Council's public works department is trying to establish whether the budget exists to build a scaffold in Cecil Square, outside the magistrates court and if not, would Cllr Driver's soap-box (more of a large crate really) and a length of rope thrown over the bus stop sign, satisfy the small army of Health and Safety officers.
Margate Rooftops in Snow 2013

I suspect that places at the hearing may in short supply, so best apply to the Council's democratic services department if you plan on saving a good seat.

The diversity examination by ordeal, subsequent sentencing and prompt execution, promises to be a family day out in the finest 18th century tradition and I plan to wear my best wig and make a fine speech, before the soap box is pulled away and I'm left to dangle in front of a cheering public.

One of my favourite Monty Python clips is shown below by complete coincidence!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

So THEY are wasting public money, and not the person who brought this on himself by his rudeness & lack of respect for others?

Simon Moores said...

Thanks Jack!

1 o'clock Rob said...

Simon, I had been informed that complaints raised about a certain independent Cllr from Ramsgate and his comments about boycotting Itailian food outlets in Margate may also be heading for the Standards Committee but haven't heard anything esle since, any chance you can ask or should I just reply to this email asking?

Simon Moores said...

Two hangings and a pizza then! Sounds like a great day out for the family.

I've no idea what's happening in regards to any other complaint and I'm sure the councillor involved won't be that worried either.

Anonymous said...

Simon I am most surprised our Diversity Champion from the "WC Group of two" has not gone and made a video.Where is Cllr Hart now here is his moment of strength to castJW into the wilderness and demonstrate that he has some backbone

Anonymous said...

Democratic Services say they have sold out of tickets and that I will have to wait for the next round of public executions that will be announced on the TDC Website shortly. They weren't entirely sure when that would be owing to a shortage of rope and stones which have now been reserved for the mass suicide of the Conservative Group and the stoning of the senior management team. Oops I was told not to say anything about that.

Anonymous said...

Maybe we should suggest EasyJet fly Spanish tourists from Malaga to Manston so they can experience a top ten world seaside resort and no fuss airport.
Good luck Simon with your Spanish Inquisition.

Anonymous said...

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this, Jack can hardly be blamed for not accepting your "apology" as it wasn't exactly sincere.

Anonymous said...

I suppose Sober Jack has taken a block booking. Didn't know he had that many friends. Suspect Iris and Clive will be there though. Will there be any refreshments?

Anonymous said...

They could tie the victims to those posts down Ramsgate seafront and shoot them, as thats the only use the piles will ever be put too.
Stargazer.

Anonymous said...

I am sure that if you slip the executioner a fat enough brown envelope, she will ensure the rope is cut enough to break before any major damage is done. Envelopes available from the Labour Party Office, Northdown Road or Sober Jack.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know he had many friends either, though I'm sure he has more than Simon.

Anonymous said...

What a waste of taxpayers money! Out of proportion and someone obviously has a thin skin which I would have thought wasn't the best thing to suffer from when attempting to indulge in politics! Can I bring my knitting Simon?

Anonymous said...

4.59 has got his wires crossed.
LMAO

Michael Child said...

Simon any chance of this being available on video for those of us who will have to be at work then, which I guess would be the majority of those paying for the hearing.

Possibly a last wish on your part would do the trick.

Anonymous said...

If only you'd stuck to the "blogging protocol" you drafted!

Anonymous said...

Will they give you a cigarette and a blindfold?

Simon Moores said...

I'm afraid there will be no video and no cigarette either as I don't smoke and it might interfere with the hood over my head!

Anonymous said...

So the WC party are still able to make up the rules under Uncle Clive's administration. W won't apologise when ordered to by Standards and C won't accept an apology to prevent waste of money at Standards. No wonder Driver left - they're barking!

Anonymous said...

6.48 if only Worrow and Cohen had stuck to the blogging protocol that they also drafted. I think that this issue of the use of the word "sober" by Cllr Cohen makes me think of Shakespeares Hamlet "The Lady doth protest to much, methinks" in this case delete 'lady' insert Cllr'.

Sober Jack said...

Simon,
You have said beastly and horrible things about me and I do not want to play with you anymore. You will not be allowed to touch my toys any more - so there. If you want to a;pologese, appologiz, applegis, say sorry then my teecher sed you Will find me standing outside the pubb with an arrowroot biskit and a vimto.

Singed Soberr Jack





Anonymous said...

Edited comment..

This does not surprise me at all. Cllr. Dr. Jack Bernard Cohen should do the gentlemanly thing and graciously accept the apology offered. He is a man of impeccable manners (his one saving grace that I challenge anyone to deny) yet he obviously feels that he is owed more than a simple apology for what is, let's face it, a petty matter. Cllr. Dr. Jack Bernard Cohen should remember that there are people who have actually witnessed........ (statement removed by editor)

If he wishes to continue in this childish manner then he might....... (edited)

What is it they say about glass houses and throwing stones !

(Edited)...

He is a public SERVANT and the TDC is not his private little fifedom.

John Holyer said...

In my experience, lefties, in the main, lack humour and take themselves much too seriously.