Thursday, July 26, 2012

Light and Dark

Out of an early morning breakfast radio show flight for two hours over Birmingham and back to Thanet, in time for this evening's Cabinet meeting which James Maskell reports in greater detail.

The Pleasurama, Royal Sands development was back for decision but that was on 'pink' and I would be hunted-down by council democratic services officers if I dared to reveal its contents. Fellow blogger, Tony Flaig, was in the public gallery but during the course of the meeting, I heard a larger than life commotion behind me and it appeared that he had been spotted, using his phone and suspected of covert 'twittering' by a security guard.

Last I saw of Tony he was headed out of the door, off home or perhaps to the Victorian holding cells beneath the Old Town hall building, until his case could be heard in the morning.

Catching-up with today's political news, it's alleged that a Thanet councillor, was ejected from a well-known Margate bar last week, for lewd and inappropriate use of the public facilities; one more unfortunate local politician's indiscretion among rather too many of late.

It's equally likely however that the media won't touch a report of this kind, although nobody seems surprised and everyone now appears to know who, when and where it took place.

On a very serious note, I was also shocked this week to hear from another councillor, of an attack on a young man at the St Mildred's Bay toilets, who, while visiting the facilities, was reportedly dragged into one of the cubicles and sexually assaulted. I'm assuming that is why it was closed over part of the weekend for forensics. The police are reportedly looking for the suspect but this is a real source of personal concern, as are reports of increased anti-social behaviour in the Lymington Road area. I spoke to one very distressed lady this week who had her car vandalised by youths.

I have taken this up with our Inspector Fox, our area commander but he also tells me that he, along, I assume, with  other Thanet police officers, are being re-tasked to Olympics security for the duration of the Games. Like every reader, I 'm rather less than happy about Thanet losing any of its police coverage for any reason.

Finally and on an equally sombre and serious note, the tragic death of a Westgate man, David Chamberlain, in Afghanistan, reminds of the everyday risks our armed forces and civilian contractors take on a day to day basis in helping to rebuild that country. I would like to express my condolences and I'm sure those of everyone who reads this weblog, to his family on their sad loss.

12 comments:

tony flaig bignews said...

I left the meeting after being accused of using my phone, which I was but for note taking, it seems to me Labour members and poorly trained staff, and senior officers do not wish to allow democracy.

The behaviour of security staff was disruptive and abusive in my opinion, council staff and indeed representative need to ask themselves whether they wish to serve the community or simply bully.

I've written to Sue McGonical and hope for an explaination and apology, I'd like to point out that it is my recollection that the chair of the Thanet Council actually encouraged the use of social media rigtht now until I hear differently I say shame on Clive Hart's Labour and Shame on council officers.

Anonymous said...

Simon your reference to the Tanet Cllr who wasejected from a "well known bar", not only is the Bar Common knowledge but so is the name of the Cllr, what is not known is how much longer Thanet will ahve to put up with him

Tim Clark said...

Why won't the media touch this matter? Surely their job is to report the news, not just the news that suits their agenda.
Rebecca seems to have recently adopted a more vigorous approach to one lot of Independents and she surely wouldn't shy away from having a pop at a miscreant Tory.

simon moores said...

Unless somewhat reluctant observers are prepared to come forward, then the matter is simply hearsay and who knows whether this is a Tory, Labour, Independent or TIG councillor. I couldn't possibly comment!

Anonymous said...

All we can hope for is that someone will come forward or that the Press look into the hearsay, the old saying smoke and fire, must now be giving the idividual who ever he is some concern as 8:23 says it is already out on the street

Anonymous said...

The wonderful thing about Tiggers?

Anonymous said...

10.50 Was it by any chance David Fox?

Anonymous said...

Simon It is most disturbing that allegedly a Cllr was ejected from a Bar for Lewd behaviour, although the name of both the individual and the Bar in question now seem to be well known, I wonder whether the Gazette will look into it and if it was a Cllr then TDC should also be very concerned.

simon moores said...

It's getting rather awkward that readers all appear to know which councillor it was but I'm afraid I am unable to allow comments - for obvious reasons - that name him and expand on the incident in question.

Don said...

Shame TDC councillors are always in then news for the wrong reasons.As for Tony if he was taking notes it is shamefull. Tweets would be easy to trace and time so an easy yay or nay. I wouldbe unable to take notes as I can no longer use pen ot pencil legibley so would need a laptop would that be allowed as I could tweet from it??

Anonymous said...

It was ME !!! I did it, I was lewd, crude and a randy dude.

Anonymous said...

Surely as it is known who and where why the reticence to name and shame