Sunday, May 06, 2012

Brian Goodwin Passes Away

I've just been informed that Brian Goodwin, my fellow Conservative ward councillor for Westgate on Sea and Margate Charter Trustee, passed-away at the QEQM hospital earlier this morning. My wife, a hospital chaplain, was in fact due to visit him again on her Sunday rounds but it was not to be.

Brian had been struggling hard against cancer for several months and finally lost the battle this week, even though he had been determined and optimistic to the last.

The Conservative Group has made its own statement through its leader, Cllr Bob Bayford, shown below but I'm sure readers here, will join with me, political colleagues of all parties in Thanet and the residents and traders of Westgate who knew him well, after many years of stalwart public service. in sending their best wishes to his family and his wife Anne at this very sad and difficult time.

Bob Bayford writes:“It is with great sadness that I have to announce the death this morning of Councillor Brian Goodwin.Councillor Goodwin represented Westgate on Sea ward since 2003 and cared deeply for the area and its residents.He will be greatly missed by all his friends and colleagues in the Conservative Group at Thanet District Council and in the wider Thanet community.”

Tom King, Independent Councillor for Westgate and Chair of the Westgate & Westbrook Residents' Association (WWRA) has asked me if I would add a few words:

"Brian was a close colleague and a former Chair of the WWRA and I knew him for over twelve years. He was a jovial character, who contributed his personal energy and enthusiasm in achieving the very best for Westgate and on behalf of the residents and the WWRA, I'm sorry to hear of his passing. He will be missed."

If we can reserve comments on this post for any personal messages of condolence and tributes, I would be grateful.

2 comments:

James Maskell said...

Brian Goodwin is a source of inspiration to me and I will miss him. Never seeking publicity, he just got on with the job. His appearance at Full Council a few months ago was a great thing to see and showed his will to represent his constituents. Thanet is a little poorer without him. My thoughts are with his family.

Ken Gregory said...

Having attended Council duties outside the area, on several occasions with Brian, I can confirm that he tirelessly'Talked Up' Thanet, and was a kind and generous person, who was proud to represent the people who he was responsible for!
I, personally, will miss his jovial manner and positive attitude.