Sunday, April 22, 2012

Old Blog - New Look

(Updated). Readers will see that this morning I'm experimenting with a different look and feel to ThanetLife which gives different view options. I'm not sure that I like it myself, because I lose all the information and links that were up on the sidebar in the older version, so please let me know if you would prefer the new look or whether I should try and revert back to the old familiar version?

After an occasionally entertaining and highly controversial week in our rainbow-coloured world of local politics, I'm struggling to find a topic of equal interest to throw into the pot. I may have one soon but won't find out for a day or so, Meanwhile, the London Marathon has started, good luck John Waller and other local runners and of course let's not forget the triumphal march along Birchington High Street by the fantastic 'independent' three, which will begin soon. I gather that this is described as a fuel poverty protest.

A little local diversity came my way on Friday in Cliftonville, when a banger with Eastern European plates, drove into my car in the Aldi car park and then sped-off, leaving the remains of its front headlights and bumper behind. I have these in a large plastic bag by the side of my desk here, should the driver wish to collect his property and identify himself.

If I think back to other incidents over the last ten years or more, I've had a European lorry driver reverse over my motorcycle at a petrol station, no insurance and an Egyptian gentlemen, knock me off another motorcycle, no insurance either. Not appearing in court after months of chasing him, he fled back to Cairo.  I wonder if readers have similar stories to share?

The new opticians in Westgate, SelectSpecs, had its ribbon-cutting ceremony on Friday evening and it opens on Monday with some special offers. The Mayor of Margate, Cllr Iris Johnston, was there to support another new shop in Westgate with the orange scissors, as was Sir Roger Gale. Which reminds me, Sir Roger will be joining us at a trader's meeting next Friday evening at 6pm at Reg Bell's office in Station Road to discuss the Sainsbury's application for Hundreds Farm. After that, it's over to our village MicroPub behind the Carlton cinema to celebrate their first birthday with some Real Ale. Hope to see you there.

A little later that morning...!

I've had such a telling off from readers about the change earlier today that I have switched everything back but can't find the original background. For the moment however, everything should be as it was and this 'progressive' Conservative hasn't progressed very far...

Some of my older readers have asked for an easier to read typeface and so I hope this now works, with a neutral grey theme and a camera photo, as I'm never without one!

Before I forget. BT inform me that Westgate will get its ADSL 2 exchange upgrade this summer, which should give local internet speeds of up to 20Mbs but it's not the super fast oprical fibre link we were hoping for. I leave it up to one of our anonymous resident experts to comment here if he will, as he seems much closer to the detailed technical issues than I am.


And finally, on the day of the London Marathon, where the oldest runner is reportedly 101,  a study of more than 200,000 Australians found that people who sat more than 11 hours a day had a 40% higher risk of dying in the next three years than people who sat less than four hours a day. "This was after adjusting for factors such as age, weight, physical activity and general health status, all of which affect the death risk."

So get running or walking out there to stay well ahead of the 'Grim Reaper'.  I'm going for a run now and the full report is here.

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just looked on for my Sunday morning fix - don't like the new format not as user friendly as the old one. Finding it harder to manoeuvre between items, slower and afraid I'm giving up for today after this, takes too long to get around items. Sorry Simon!

simon moores said...

Thanks.. I will see what the consensus is and may change back if readers, like you, prefer the old style. I would say it's visually more attractive and the different tab views allow you to see it from different perspectives (ie classic view - top left option) but does take more steps to get around

Tom Clarke said...

Different and, whilst I may be at an age resistant to change, I too found it much harder to move around. The loss of sidebars is also to be regretted so, all in all, not as good in my view. Mind you, I have elsewhere today written "Oh for the days of the Broadstairs & St. Peters Urban District Council when labour was something confined to the delivery suite of the local hospital." So maybe I live in a bygone era!

Best of luck with it, Simon, whatever you decide.

Anonymous said...

I'm from Thanet, and therefore I don't like any sort of change no matter how beneficial it is to all. Change it back!

Michael Child said...

Amazing Simon, I first attempted to view this on my mobile a reboot sorted it out afterwards. Is there any way back, or have you pressed a button to far? I had to clear my cache to view the comments here.

There is a fundamental problem here and that is Thanet Life is now a dead end instead of a road to other blogs and websites, I am minded to put up a Java mirror site for those of us who can’t face compulsive clicking at breakfast and just want to read your posts and peoples comments here.

Tony2 said...

Stick to the old one please this one is not user friendly.

Michael Child said...

Close call there Simon, good to see you were able to put the nitrous oxide back in bottle.

Anonymous said...

The Black background is like an undertakers advert and somewhat dificult to read not up to your usual standard,
Stargazer.

Anonymous said...

8:43, what exactly would those beneficial to all changes be? Having lived here since 44 I cannot think of one. Largely it's been all downhill.

Anonymous said...

Dear old Iris, she attends the opening of anything where a camera is present!!! Perhaps they should put a camera in the room where letters are opened...It would keep her out of everyone way?

Anonymous said...

A South African boxer who lived in Thanet hit me from behind with my 2 children in the back in 2008 on the Canterbury road Westgate, he wrote my car off & I was told by the police he was to appear in court!!! Guess what he fled back to South Africa got away with it. But at least he had insurance,!!!

Col said...

I like the new look Simon. But then, as only use a laptop I can see how it might be more difficult to navigate on a mobile device.
See? Not everyone in Thanet is anti change. Thanks for keeping us entertained.

1 o'clock Rob said...

Re BT, the site I go to to see what is happening with the Westgate exchange (NDWES) shows that FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) AKA Infinity is listed as 2012, so who knows maybe after ADSL2.... fingers crossed.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NDWES

Anonymous said...

Sorry Simon,i cannot focus on the new look site,have to go elsewhere to get my news and entertainment

simon moores said...

I'm trying to make the new look as reader friendly and accessible as possible for all ages and that's across laptops, mobile devices and iPads too!

If any aspect is giving you a reading problem, please let me know and I will try and rectify it if possible.

Tim Clark said...

Looks OK on my laptop and I like the slightly less garish background. Haven't tried it on the BlackBerry yet

Tim Clark said...

Looks ok on the bb as well

Anonymous said...

Worrow & Driver are media savvy and getting a lot of publcity about the fuel march and gay marriage

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/04/20/thanet-council-votes-to-support-equal-marriage/


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-17783940

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2012/april/22/protest_march_over_fuel_costs.aspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-17804510

I reckon with a high profile like this they will be hard to shift

Readit said...

I was spun around on the Thanet Way by an overtaking lady driver who was driving on a puncture at 90mph.

The insurance comany called it a blow out and said it was an "act of god". It took six months to get them to pay up.

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I fit the 'older reader' bit...65...but I find this format difficult to read both on laptop and on desktop's screen. Is it my imagination or is the point size of the typeface much smaller? All for change when needed, but if it ain't broke...why fix it?
Heard one of the dynamic (?) duo on local radio this morning. Today Thanet, tomorrow the world?

Tom Clarke said...

4:46 You really must be joking. What party are they going to stand as and where. Worrow is in a safe Tory seat whilst Driver is in a Labour one.

In any case, since when was fuel within the remit of local councillors and how many people in Thanet do you really think are impressed by the gay marriage bit.

On the media skills we saw a sweaty looking Worrow making an idiot of himself trying to debate with Nigel Farage whilst Driver is all beer belly and flappy shirt. Real good PR stuff that.

simon moores said...

The typeface is the same size at 12 point. If you go to your web browser settings in either internet explorer or chome etc, then you can zoom the view up and down to sut your reading focus

Anonymous said...

As the saying goes...." If it aint broke don't fix it"
Prefer the older version if i'm honest, reminds me of when British Airways traded the most famous brand image in the world, in for a group of ethnic rubbish all over their fleet. They too soon reverted to what "worked" rather than what ticked boxes. Hopefully you can revert this back at a lot less expense than it took BA !

Really liked the pictures above also, a lovely beach scene,the wonderful Westgate "old" days image and an even older one of our Mayor...bless her.

simon moores said...

Sharp eyed readers will notice that it is back to what it was but with a different background photo and title font.

simon moores said...

Would you believe the seaside scene photo was taken with my iPhone camera yesterday evening. It's qute remarkable how good the phone camera is!

Michael Child said...

Always been a bit of a dulleyed reader but I’ts thumbs up from here from Windows, Lynx Android and Windows Mobile also Opera Mini, Opra, Firefox and Chrome.

My RasPberry camera is similar, phone camera quality has exceeded normal internet quality, btw some pixelation if you view the published file http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5ouXP6_37as/T5Piy5S1agI/AAAAAAAADdQ/n7WKw20rVx8/s1600/St+Mildreds+(32).JPG

Anonymous said...

Glad you have gone back to the old format. Could I suggest a bit of colour though. In view of recent events maybe a rainbow.

Anonymous said...

Re failure to stop, we tracked down such a culprit from light parts & debris and could claim no fault insurance, so it's not always doomed.
(I suppose a local Sainsburys would be closer and more British, even English, than Aldi - deadline draws near..)

Anonymous said...

Is it also true that IAN DRIVER is going to be the next Mayor of Ramsgate?

simon moores said...

Michael.. I started by thinking that Labour were 'having a laugh' but let me guess, you are inn favour of the motion?

Michael Child said...

Simon is this a response to my comment above or on today’s post about the minimum age suitable for a mayor of Margate? If it is the latter what do you reckon would be a suitable minimum age, or would you rather not say?

simon moores said...

Seems to have fallen in the wrong thread Michael but I guess the age of consent, whatever that means to people these days, may be a good starting point for the argument!

james said...

James 10:32AM Well played, nice write up!