Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Towers Come Down

I was sitting in the best seat in the house, at 2,000 feet opposite the Richborough cooling towers, this morning, as the demolition charges went-off at 09:00. here's a couple of photos (copyright) and more here, as I have to run over to Brighton beach for a job very soon.

The traffic on the approach roads was pretty dense and for a moment, I wondered if I was going to be able to get off the St Nicholas roundabout to the airfield, as a constant stream of cars circled it from the Herne Bay direction.

A pretty day for it but quite how lost aviators will now find their way home is anyone's guess! There will be some confused visitors from France too, I bet, as it's a major navigation landmark. I should say 'was' a landmark!


5 comments:

Michael Child said...

As ever Simon thanks for the excellent shots, it all happened rather quickly for me and I nearly missed it altogether.

Looks like the demolition engineer got her charges set spot on and it fell pretty much on its own footprint, something you couldn’t see from the ground.

Perhaps the replacement plant that is going to generate power from rubbish will make a new landmark, any idea how tall it is going to be?

Peter Checksfield said...

A great landmark for cyclists & ramblers too! Still, the area will look better without them.

Now, how about the same thing for Arlington House?

Anonymous said...

Can just see me on the bottom left - was amazed how close the exclusion zone was !!

Anonymous said...

Was Sober Jack there to supervise?

Anonymous said...

Didn't see him or his glove-puppet Worrow!