Sunday, July 10, 2011

Past and Present

I cycled over to have a look at the Margate Masters volleyball competition on the main beach, a little earlier this afternoon. The weather was clearly smiling on the event this year but other than the immediate spectators, it was hard to work out who was there to enjoy the athletic spectacle and who was there to enjoy the sunshine warming Margate sands.

From Margate, it was over to Quex Park to see how the event there was going. On the way, two police cars dashed out of Birchington towards the Thanet Way at very high speed and so I'm guessing there's some kind of incident up towards the St Nicholas roundabout. By the time I reached Quex Park, it was obvious that most of the crowds had already been and so I drifted back to Westgate to have a coffee at Fredericks by the Carlton cinema before making this small blog entry.

I've deleted some comment from the earlier entry, provoked, I suspect by equally negative comment made on another local Blog. It's not any form of censorship but an acceptable use policy and by all means leave your thoughts here but I encourage a polite level of conversation.

If any reminder is needed, this is my diary as well as acting as a place for me to make all kinds of local and national observations, personal and political alike. I use it in conjunction with Memolane which is a great tool for consolidating photos, blogs and social networks into  a single integrated diary, which in my case, goes back almost a decade; I recommend it.

Someone once said and I can't immediately remember who, that: "The purpose of life is to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have it make some difference that we lived at all.” I've been lucky enough to be able to cram a great deal into my 55 years but I don't see why I should have to apologise for reminiscing about the past, the remarkable people I met and the fun I had along the way, just because I happen to be a local councillor, a Conservative and a blogger at the same time.

No comments: