Friday, May 27, 2011

Age Before Beauty

A quick read through Friday's soar-away issue of  the Thanet Gazette and I see that the early signs of an epidemic of suicidal depression among Staffordshire bull terriers is once again making the news. Not so long ago, I wrote of how upset I was coming across the body of one that allegedly drowned itself in the paddling pool in St Mildred's Bay and today's Gazette reports that a second, also apparently staying with neighbours, in a sudden fit of despair, threw itself out of a first floor window in Margate onto spiked iron railings below. Sadly and from the more recent conversation I had with an RSPCA inspector, I predict this won't be the last such tragic story of suicidal depression in this breed and I would recommend that worried owners ask their vet about the benefits of Prozac.

Curiously enough and according to Labour Leader, Clive Hart, I'm an 'elderly man.' At least this is how it's reported in the local paper with Labour alleging that the Conservative cabinet is made up of the same elderly men as before and with apparently no new ideas to offer. But hold on a moment, I think you might find that the average age of the Conservative cabinet might be less than that of Labour but my guess, now that Cllr Bruce has replaced the retiring Cllr Latchford, is about 55 and I can happily report that I still have all my own teeth although I do admit to needing reading glasses these days!

Of course, if Cllr Hart swiftly appoints young Cllr Will Scobie (the younger) to the shadow cabinet, then that will scupper my argument and the average with it! Which on a much lighter note, reminds me of 'Hot crumpets' and Blackadder III



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also see in the Gazette today that the Council has found that the leaflet drop in Westgate the day before the elections was not illegal at all

DrM. said...

Illegal, no, because it can't be directly connected to another candidate. Malicious, perverted, defamatory, mendacious, unpleasant, choose you adjective but there was no investigation simply because in the circumstances of winning quite comfortably, I didn't choose to lodge a complaint as it wasn't worth the effort and in fact, it all worked rather well in my favour attracting votes rather than losing them, from all the conversations I had. The phone rang off the hook with outraged voters!

or to quote one angry Westgate resident.. "I just had a piece of S**t dropped through my letterbox!

Michael Child said...

It is indeed a very good thing that this sort of malicious rubbish didn’t stop you from getting in Simon, we need more in the way of responsive and communicative councillors like you in local government.

I think a point that many failed to grasp in the last election is that a great many voters went along to what they thought was exclusively a referendum about AV and were confronted with either one or two more ballot papers, in many cases with names they had never heard of on them.

I suspect a lot of the voters are fairly uncertain about the differences between parish, district and county councils, most people’s mental image being one of the council.

In many cases I think people crossed the box either because of the political party or because they had heard of the person.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers on antidepressants sounds a bit too interesting.

Thanks for the video clip, I am still laughing.

Anonymous said...

It could be helpful to the cabinet mix and allay some of the accusations if you could get Bob Bayford to wear a kilt!

Anonymous said...

Do you really think the good voters of Thanet are too thick to realise they are voting in an referendum *and* a council election, really ? Are you really sure you have that level of contempt for what at the end of the day as councillors are your employers.

Luke Edwards said...

Is that Dr. House in that video? Well I never!

Will Scobie said...

Presumably that means that Bob Bayford is Prince Regent George, and I am assuming you see yourself as Blackadder. But who is Baldrick?

DrM. said...

No, it simply reminded me of a Blackadder sketch but other keep telling me that the characters remind them of people they know!

Anonymous said...

I nominate Cllr Hart for the role of Baldrick..... any one second that proposal ?

James Maskell said...

Labour has now complained about the age and the gender of the Conservative Cabinet, in separate incidents. I don't really care how old they are, as long as they are able to do the job properly. Very able Councillors arent in the Cabinet but they still have a contribution they can and do make to Thanet.

Michael Child said...

I noticed that too Labour seem to be asking us to chose between senior men and younger women, given the choice…… oh dear I think I may be going to put my foot in it here.

FedUpWithPoliticians said...

Isn't it against the law to discriminate against age - a Labour law from Harridan Harman if I'm not mistaken. So in the Labour Utopia age shouldn't matter - someone had better tell Clive