Saturday, April 30, 2011

Looking Beyond May 5th

Something I wrote elsewhere in around 2009, I think but has a certain resonance in regard to any personal manifesto I might have for the coming local elections and the broader movement of local government towards embracing the concept of 'Shared Services' between neighbouring councils:

"If we in Europe are going to promote e-government as a tool for progressive change it has to be in a sound local context and with the financial and technical support that will take modest projects to the point of being able to deliver simple, useful services for the many. Or, to quote Winston Churchill: "It is no use saying, 'We are doing our best.' You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary."

1 comment:

ascu75 aka Don said...

I like the Churchill comment and I think we are getting towards a point of sucsess. Unfortunatly nobody is enjoying the journey.But when we get to the destination it will have been worth it.