Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Getting on with the Job


'The State of Emergency introduced in May 2010 is to be extended for another five years, Prime Minister-for-Life Gordon Brown announced in London yesterday.

Such was the scale of the crisis facing the country that a General Election could only lead to instability.

Labour would continue in power indefinitely, Brown pledged. He was getting on with the job, taking the difficult decisions, which is what people wanted him to do.'

I wouldn't normally reproduce Richard Littlejohn and his Daily Mail column here but it was drawn to my attention this morning and thinking it was all rather too close to the truth in parts, I thought I would share it with you.

Out for a walk with my dogs this morning and I was surprised to see a car draw-up, almost next to me and a man dump his black bags of household waste at the entrance of the St Mildred's Bay car park. Normally these days, it's best to stay quiet but I'm afraid I couldn't resist passing comment and very politely too I might add.

He was, as he pointed out, a law abiding person but felt that the council was being unreasonable in insisting that rubbish had to fit into a wheelie bin with its lids closed. Not so long ago, he told me, the binmen would take anything but now he complained they were lazy and it makes him angry.

I've frequently noticed the remains of black bags at the same spot, that's after the seagulls, have ripped them apart and scattered the contents around. I did tell him that while I sympathized with him to a certain extent, as in an ideal world we would like all our rubbish collected, leaving his black bags there was simply going to create even more work for the road sweepers and a disgusting mess along the street within minutes of the seagulls spotting the bags. I suggested that if he was going to dump his bags anywhere, then please use the large skip at the end of the car park, which he did.

On this occasion, it was a polite conversation between two adults and it could have been much worse I'm sure. Wheelie bins have made a big difference in parts of Westgate but black bag dumping is still an occasional problem as is dog fouling, (350 fines have been handed out across Thanet in the last year to people littering or allowing their dogs to foul) as one irate resident told me last week and short of having constant warden patrols to spot the offenders, I don't know what the answer is.

People want clean streets and a huge effort goes into keeping Thanet as tidy as possible within the resources available but the fact remains that a very small minority has a completely disproportionate impact on our street scene and our voracious seagull population simply adds to the problem.

Finally, on the subject of minorities, I have just heard that the toilets in West Bay have been vandalized with all the windows broken. This adds to the attack on the new computer shop and St Mildred's Bay beach cafes last weekend. I had a long chat with Inspector Pearson yesterday and there's very little doubt now that we have an individual or several, hell-bent on causing as much damage as possible around Westgate before they are finally caught.

6 comments:

Peter Checksfield said...

The answer to the rubbish problem is to have more large communal bins like the one we have at the end of my Westbrook cul-de-sac. Since that's been there we've had relatively little problems with rubbish.

Incidentally I took a stroll through the beautiful village of Wye a couple of days ago, & noticed that almost everyone there seemed to have recycling outside their homes ready for collection. I've never seen anything like that in Thanet, but then again Wye probably doesn't have bin men deliberately mixing recycling with rubbish for landfill, nor do they have to wait 9 weeks for collections.

DrM. said...

I quite agree on large communal bins but they are a finite resource and are normally placed strategically in known areas. They can't deal with random dumping which is the biggest problem

Peter Checksfield said...

That's true, but if this guy had a large communal bin near him then presumably he wouldn't be trying to dump his rubbish. They're not the answer for everyone such as the old & infirm of course, but I can't help thinking that investing in these where possible (& ensuring that they're emptied daily, as the one in my road is) would be better than spending money on wheelie bins & seagull-proof sacks.

Anonymous said...

anon again!
At least he dumps them by the bins.
On the upper deck of the 8's to Canterbury, you see randomly chucked blacks bags strewn the whole way.
Wheely bins are a very good idea, but the Councils charges and 'made up rules' that accompany them are ridicule personified.
The bin men are getting lazier though. Down our little cul-de-sac, bins are supposed (letter from the TDC) to left in their place for the men to handle and be returned to their rightful places.
They take the bins out but have never returned them to their positions. I often have to sort this out for the many aged folk down our street.

Anonymous said...

anon again!
Forgot the vandalism. Don't forget the half term idiot's roaming round the streets looking for something to destroy!

Anonymous said...

I suggest wheelie bin owners should look at their bins closely to see if they have been chipped by TDC, If they have, and it will look like a small round metal disc I guess, you may want to ensure they can fall out easily. Pay as you throw rubbish collections will come in before too long, mark my words.