Sunday, December 07, 2008

Centenary Mass at Birchington Catholic Church

I attended the centenary mass at the Church of Our Lady & St Benedict in Birchington today. One hundred years on from its founding, the Right Reverend Bishop John Hine (auxillary Bishop of Southwark), celebrated the mass and the congregation were delighted to see parish priest, Canon Bill Clements, arrive specially by ambulance from hospital, in London, where he has been ill for many months.

I was asked if I might record the event, given that I had my camera with me and so I've placed a selection of photos up on Flickr for members of the congregation to look at and download if they wish. These can be found here.

A special Papal blessing was sent to the parish and you can see the the Reverend Bishop displaying it to the congregation in the photo.

A very busy and well attended buffet reception and celebration was held in the church hall after the event, adding to the success of the day.

All present today send their best wishes to Canon Bill as well as the prayers of the congregation for his speedy recovery and return to a parish where he has done so much good work over the years.

No comments: